[Nix-dev] Using nix-shell in messy trees with symlinks and binary files

Kosyrev Serge _deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru
Fri Feb 19 00:11:27 CET 2016

Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> writes:
> The problem here is that nix is trying to copy a large part of your
> filesystem into the nix store. It does that when nix expressions refer
> to files that aren't in the nix store. A derivation can only depend on
> other derivations, so if you include data that isn't in the store,
> there's an implicit derivation created that contains it. What you need
> to do is find these implicit references and make them explicit - eg
> using the filterSrc builtin. That will both speed up evaluation,
> because you'll be copying much less data, and enable you to avoid
> these errors related to unsupported file types.

Thank you, Colin and everyone!

Also, I'm sorry for duplicate posts of mine -- I've been using a wrong
email account.

I should add, that I have since split the nix expression into shell.nix
and default.nix -- and that was enough to prevent the behavior I described.

..which now sounds odd, in the light of your explanation, since I would
have expected nix to continue with hashing.

But ah well..

--
с уважениeм / respectfully,
Косырев Сергей