[Nix-dev] Trouble installing NixOS on Citrix Xen

Ben Booth benwbooth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:12:57 CET 2016

> On Feb 11, 2016, at 12:25, Ben Booth <benwbooth at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 10, 2016, at 09:22, Ben Booth <benwbooth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to install a NixOS VM onto our Citrix Xen server at work, but I'm running into several issues:
>>
>> - Booting in HVM mode doesn't seem to work at all; the VM just stops on the BIOS screen
>>
>> - Booting in PV mode using pygrub *almost* works, but for some reason Nix creates the /boot/grub/menu.lst file with two backslashes for each entry:
>> The double backslash confuses pygrub, so for now I have to manually remove the extra backslash. I'm planning on filing a bug report for this, but does anyone know a workaround in the mean time?
>
> I just submitted a pull request to fix the double backslash issue, and it got merged! So I guess it will show up in the next release.

Well, the pull request I submitted had breaking issues, so it was reverted. I did find a workaround, however. The double-backslash issue only affects ext2/3/4-formatted /boot partitions. If you format the /boot partition using fat32, reiserfs, or some other format, then pygrub will ignore the double-backslashes.

Ben