[Nix-dev] A call for hardware configurations

Emery Hemingway emery at vfemail.net
Thu Feb 11 00:55:18 CET 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 11:51:34AM -0800, Ericson, John wrote:
> 2. Beware of caching generated results.

I thought about this too, and I wouldn't want options sprinkled into my
config to be forgotten. Perhaps something like install-specific release
notes could be generated?

I have a prototype that generates /etc/hardware-notes, perhaps all
modules could be required to document changes so the user has something
to refer to post install?
https://github.com/ehmry/nixos-hardware/commit/1e4d3e670dc4917861b886da0cdd9bf0380ae508

> 3. For PCs, many things are contingent on firmware settings which
> unfortunately we do not (can not?) control. A convention for guides on
> how to setup ones firmware before installing nix would be nice.

Yes, might be nice to put some markdown along side the expressions. Things
like firmware and verified bootloading are can be tedious to setup, and it
would be nice to collect that knowledge.

Emery