[Nix-dev] Wiki is dead

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Mon Feb 15 22:49:03 CET 2016

@Peter: haha, point taken :)

So I went on #archlinux and asked a few questions on their wiki (transcript
below). It might seem obvious but basically it works because somebody close
to the core is owning the wiki.

------
[21:29] <zimbatm> over at #nixos we are wondering how arch manages to have
such an awesome wiki. how do you manage it, is somebody owning the wiki ?
[21:30] <alad> zimbatm: pierre manages the technical side of the wiki, and
you have like 3 people watching over the daily happenings
[21:30] <alad> zimbatm: otherwise it's just community maintained
[21:30] <Namarrgon> don't forget the goat blood and the virgins
[21:30] <alad> ^ yeah, important factor
[21:30] <zimbatm> do you have meetings about the content of the wiki ?
[21:31] <pid1> lol
[21:31] <pid1> The meetings are the Talk pages
[21:31] <alad> zimbatm: vast majority is in public discussions in articles,
or on "maintenance" pages like ArchWiki:Requests
[21:31] <alad> yeah, what pid1 said
[21:32] <alad> of course, you also have wiki-related discussions here, in
arch-general, on the forums, ...
[21:32] <pid1> Most changes are discussed there, and sometimes changes are
staged on an individual's page
[21:32] <zimbatm> I must say I'm impressed, arch wiki is always my go to
for linux issues
[21:33] <zimbatm> do you know if pierre one of the arch founder or core
contributors ?
[21:33] <zimbatm> i think we're having issues with ownership, most people
don't trust changing the wiki willy-nilly
[21:33] <alad> zimbatm: well, arch gets the upstream issues before most
others, issues on old versions are typically deleted after some time
[21:34] <alad> zimbatm: pierre is an arch developer, there are also some
wiki admins who are trusted users or involved in the forums, but most of
them focus on the actual wiki
[21:35] <pid1> zimbatm: It does help that the Arch wiki has a decent number
of people who watch the "Recent Changes" feed and watch for obvious
foolishness
[21:35] <zimbatm> okay. thanks a lot for clearing my questions. I agree,
somebody needs to take care and make sure the content is good and well
structured
[21:36] <zimbatm> yeah, nixos is like 100time smaller too
[21:38] <alad> zimbatm: I'd start by keeping the scope small, i.e., focused
on distribution-specific tools
[21:38] <alad> zimbatm: the developers should be able to help with that, too