[Nix-dev] Wiki is dead

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Feb 15 17:50:23 CET 2016

I feel like contributing a few points in a Wiki's defense, given the
general negativity towards it, but I am not on a crusade :)

In general, Wikipedia/MediaWiki works because it scales massively and
provides excellent tools to detect and cope with vandalism.  The git
workflow should scale very well, too, but under heavy parallel writes
(at a Wikipedia level, not something I would expect for NixOS), the
interactive nature of conflict resolution is going to be smoother than a
git pull/push scenario (think about multiple users pounding on a page
within seconds).

The NixOS project is simply too small to have a well-maintained wiki at
this point, which needs a certain critical mass.  But I think eventually
things will tip in favor of the wiki, and NixOS' wiki will be as great
as Arch and Gentoo (also an excellent wiki, and a much smaller community
than Arch).  I also think that thematically NixOS will have much in
common with these two wikis (the issues in maintaining these systems are
similar).  So, I would look at Arch and Gentoo Wikis not as contrasting
examples, but as a projection of the NixOS wiki in the future.  If you
like the Wiki there, you would move away from that goal by not having a
wiki.  I think that if you look at the early versions of those wikis,
you will find them to be similar to what NixOS wiki looks today.

A causal user, and even most developers, will not bother checking out a
whole git repository to fix an issue in a single wiki page.  Wikis are
optimized for low barrier of entry.

Also, a MediaWiki installation will be easier to adapt, exetend and
integrate with other tools in NixOS rather than for example the
suggested github pages, which will always be limited by what github
provides.

I think that book-like manuals serve different purposes from a wiki.  I
think both are needed.  Github pages may very well be suited to provide
a good book-experience.