[Nix-dev] Travis Testing Needs Rethinking

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Sun Feb 14 19:44:20 CET 2016

What if master was always the latest successful hydra build ? People could
rebase on top and have cached builds. Nox could also have cached builds.

Instead of merging a PR we would instruct Hydra to queue the build. If the
build is successful hydra would merge it into master and close the PR.
Otherwise it would amend the PR with the build errors. To instruct Hydra we
could annotate a PR with a custom message like: "hydra go!".

I believe that this would also help to spot regressions faster. Right now
Darwin tends to get breaking chances because Nox only tests against Nixos.
And since the builds would be done against all OSes we would also be able
to merge all the unstable channels.