[Nix-dev] New NixOS and nixpkgs for SmartOS images released

deCube.net | Danny Wilson danny at decube.net
Mon Feb 1 16:18:17 CET 2016

Hi list!

Today I’m excited to announce 2 new images available for running nix on SmartOS:

1) NixOS as lx-branded zone:

Running NixOS in SmartOS’ container native linux-system-call-table-emulated environment:  https://wiki.smartos.org/display/DOC/LX+Branded+Zones
Special thanks to Eelco for helping me at NixCon figure out the special NixOS (and udev) settings to make it work!

I’ve tried NixOS 16.03-unstable as well, but that version systemd is too new for SmartOS at the moment and doesn’t boot.

Available here:
- http://datasets.at/ui/#!/configure/22ba59c6-8c49-11e5-87e5-7fbffbc05623

2) Nix with nixpkgs-unstable git checkout, bootstrapped for SmartOS:

Version 0.2.0:

Available here:
- http://datasets.at/ui/#!/configure/a33de196-c865-11e5-aa1c-073507bee650

Most notable changes since 0.1.0:
- Nix 1.11.1 stable!
- Built with official nixpkgs repository checkout.  (no more fork!)
- Bootstrapped with this checkout to be exact: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/tree/2c78c7b84b45e9289e4b71abb4b36d95d58579fe

Happy to help anyone willing to try these images :-)

Thanks to the nix community for accepting my pull-requests and being awesome.