[Nix-dev] Usability: Nixpkg > NixOS

Mark Gardner mkg at vt.edu
Thu Dec 15 14:03:42 CET 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:30 AM, zimbatm <zimbatm at zimbatm.com> wrote:

> The nixos.org website for example starts with NixOS and then the user has
> to backtrack to the other parts of the ecosystem. I think it's confusing
> and a lot of people don't get that it's more than an operating system. They
> are missing on all the goodness about the cross-distro packaging system
> capabilities that makes nixpkg appealing.

​Starting with nixpkg and then talking about NixOS causes the same problem
but in reverse. As an example, I came to the Nix community as the result of
NixOS, not nixpkg. I am not sure I would have been attracted to the
community if nixpkg was the entry point.

A better idea in my opinion is to have separate sites dedicated to each and
have them refer to each other. That way no matter which direction a person
comes at it, they will be able to find the other. And each web site can be
focused on it's individual message.
​

> The other issue is with the term "nix" because it's a common search word.
> "*NIX" always comes up, which is the abbreviation used to describe all the
> flavors of UNIX. I think it's desirable to get away from that term in our
> communication
> ​.​

​
​
I haven't had a problem with search but that is because my entry into the
community was through "nixos" which isn't a common term.​ I can see how
"nix" could cause problems.

Does that make sense? I know that it's easy to get into un-ending semantic
> battles but I think it's important to use the right term. Selecting the
> right words helps a lot with comprehension. In some sense it's a bit like
> go vs golang. "Go" is used in verbal communication and "golang" to help
> search.

​

​Just like "Go" -> "golang", we can promote "Nix" -> "nixpkg".
​

> I bought the nixpkg.com domain just in case and am happy to transfer it
> to the nix foundation.

​Is there any reason we shouldn't use nixpkg.org in parallel to nixos.org?

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark Gardner