[Nix-dev] Usability: Nixpkg > NixOS

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Thu Dec 15 12:30:41 CET 2016

Hi community,

I have been thinking on how to communicate to newcomers and I have come to
the conclusion that "nixpkg" is the best term to talk about our ecosystem
as whole.

The nixos.org website for example starts with NixOS and then the user has
to backtrack to the other parts of the ecosystem. I think it's confusing
and a lot of people don't get that it's more than an operating system. They
are missing on all the goodness about the cross-distro packaging system
capabilities that makes nixpkg appealing.

The other issue is with the term "nix" because it's a common search word.
"*NIX" always comes up, which is the abbreviation used to describe all the
flavors of UNIX. I think it's desirable to get away from that term in our
communication.

Does that make sense? I know that it's easy to get into un-ending semantic
battles but I think it's important to use the right term. Selecting the
right words helps a lot with comprehension. In some sense it's a bit like
go vs golang. "Go" is used in verbal communication and "golang" to help
search.

I bought the nixpkg.com domain just in case and am happy to transfer it to
the nix foundation.

Cheers,