[Nix-dev] Multiple outputs: is a first output necessary?

Freddy Rietdijk freddyrietdijk at fridh.nl
Wed Dec 7 13:13:32 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm using Nix and now also multiple outputs for my data analysis and
simulations. Many scripts generate several files and instead of having them
together in the same store path I would prefer to put them in separate
store paths.

I'm not using any of the common outputs like $out and $bin. The multiple
outputs feature seems to require that $out is used. Therefore I now just
put a single file in $out. What is the reason this is needed? I saw in the
documentation that leftover files are typically put in $out.

Freddy