[Nix-dev] RapsberryPi image outdated Nix

Daniel Frank nix-dev-0872143 at danielfrank.net
Wed Aug 10 01:23:34 CEST 2016

Hello,

Am Dienstag, den 09.08.2016, 09:16 -0700 schrieb Colin Z:
> Hi all, I'm trying to get NixOS running on a Raspberry Pi 3 but ran
> into an issue with an outdated Nix
>
> I used the first image linked at https://nixos.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
> and after putting the latest firmware from
> https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware (including kernel7.img) on the
> boot partition, I was able to boot into NixOS.
>
> I did a nix-channel --update, but when I tried to install some
> packages I got an error about Nixpkgs needing Nix >= 1.10 and the
> image appears to only have Nix 1.5.1
>

> The links given were broken when I tried, and it says to contact the
> email list if you're on ARM:
>
> https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_update_when_Nix_is_too_old_to_evaluate_
> Nixpkgs
>
> What's the best way to get a more current version of Nix installed?

Certainly not the fastest, but a working way is to move through all the
channels (not sure if you have to start with 15.03 or 15.09) and
recompile the whole system everytime.
Basically:
# nix-channel --remove nixos
# nix-channel --add https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-15.09-small nixos
# nix-rebuild boot --upgrade
# reboot
[back to start with the next version]

My pi2 took a couple of days to munch through that.