[Nix-dev] RapsberryPi image outdated Nix

Colin Z theczintheroc2007 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 18:16:16 CEST 2016

Hi all, I'm trying to get NixOS running on a Raspberry Pi 3 but ran into an
issue with an outdated Nix

I used the first image linked at https://nixos.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi and
after putting the latest firmware from
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware (including kernel7.img) on the boot
partition, I was able to boot into NixOS.

I did a nix-channel --update, but when I tried to install some packages I
got an error about Nixpkgs needing Nix >= 1.10 and the image appears to
only have Nix 1.5.1

The links given were broken when I tried, and it says to contact the email
list if you're on ARM:

https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_update_when_Nix_is_too_old_to_evaluate_Nixpkgs

What's the best way to get a more current version of Nix installed?

As another, more general question, if I have another ARM install with
toolchain available (say, Archlinux) is there a way to leverage that to
build a Nix package that could be used/installed by another ARM install
(NixOS)?