[Nix-dev] duplicate packages?

Damien Cassou damien at cassou.me
Thu Aug 4 13:36:21 CEST 2016

Hi,

Roland Koebler <rk-list at simple-is-better.org> writes:
>    I know that different build-inputs result in different hashes, but
>    I would have expected a more homogeneous structure in nixpkgs (e.g.
>    only one acl-2.2.52 in nixpkgs and not several ones), so that I
>    don't need e.g. 3 times acl-2.2.52 or bash-4.3-p42.
>
>    Is this because I use nixpkgs-unstable, and everything is moving
>    there

I think so. Each time a dependency of acl changes, you get a new acl.
And packages change a lot in nixpkgs-unstable.

> and is this reduced in the NixOS-release-channels?

I guess so

> 2. Is there a way to clean this up?

you can run garbage collection for everything you don't need anymore.
Here are 2 bash functions I use:

    function nixos-cleanup-unsafe () {
        sudo nix-collect-garbage --delete-older-than "$@"
        nixos-cleanup-safe
    }

    function nixos-cleanup-safe () {
        df -h /
        nix-collect-garbage
        df -h /
        sudo nix-store --optimise
        df -h /

To remove everything you don't need at all and reclaim hard disk space:
$ nixos-cleanup-safe

To remove everything older than 2 days you don't need anymore (you won't
be able to go back in time):
$ nixos-cleanup-unsafe 2d

--
Damien Cassou