[Nix-dev] Monitoring by default

Tomasz Czyż tomasz.czyz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:17:10 CEST 2016

That's interesting, however I don't think this should be part of
"monitoring" service.

I'm using prometheus daily and I'm following its development and I don't
think it's stable enough (for example backend/storage changes quite often),
and prometheus is far from 1.0 (stable).

I don't agree that something like "monitoring" should be tied to specific
software. I personally like debian-way better than redhat-way ("apache2"
service instead of "httpd" service which is apache or nginx).
So I think I would like to have prometheus service and I would build my
system using those blocks. On that level I can use nixops to make a
"monitoring" service which consists of many other applications (let's say
prometheus + some dashboard + other modules around or I can use totally
different software instead, but still it will be monitoring service).

Tomasz Czyż