[Nix-dev] PolicyKit timeout after upgrade to 16.03

4levels 4levels at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:18:53 CEST 2016

Hi Roger,

the weird thing is that my local vm, the machine that actually deploys the
servers, doesn't have this issue.  This instance also runs nixos-16.03 and
uses the same nixos-16.03-small channel.

This issue started when trying to upgrade to 16.03  I was not really clear
about how to do this so I ended up running nix-channel add ... nixos on all
deployed servers, causing all the nixops deployed config to be lost,
resulting in having to redeploy every server.  Currently I'm still unsure
how to upgrade machines deployed with nixops :-(

I don't mind redeploying every machine to solve this, as the issues are
piling up now: I need to reboot a server because I can't do any systemctl
call anymore that requires root privileges.  Even when first switching to
the root account (I know the password), this issue persists.  I'm still
completely unsure where this issue comes from.  Googling this error "Error
getting authority: Error initializing authority: Error calling
StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: Timeout was reached
(g-io-error-quark, 24)" gives me tons of pages with polkit, dbus and
systemd things that go far beyond my understandings.

When running the polkit service with strace, I can see loads of errors
about files not being found and the trace ends with

write(2, "Error switcing to user polkituse"..., 98Error switcing to user
polkituser: Error changing to home directory /var/empty: Permission denied
) = 98

Please find attached the full strace log.  I really hope someone can assist
further in this nasty issue.  Maybe it is related to the use of
nixos-16.03-small instead of nixos-16.03.  But since I'm using nixos for
servers only, without the need for a desktop environment, I was expecting
the small channel to be better..

Kind regards!

Erik