[Nix-dev] ANN: closure-size hitting master

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 09:43:21 CEST 2016

Hi,
for those who haven't followed this, we are about to merge extensive
changes from [closure-size] branch to master. Currently I'm only waiting
for Hydra to finish [building staging].

There are bound to be some regressions, but there shouldn't be any mass
breakages anymore, at least on x86_64-linux and i686-linux. You can
utilize the stable branch in case of problems...

The branch is really big. It has run for a few years, accumulating
hundreds of commits from several contributors and touching hundreds of
files.

Some [docs] about the topic (will) appear in nixpkgs manual. The branch
contains a framework easing package splitting, mainly effective for
autotools-based packages, and over 180 packages are split already (!)

General discussion should be directed to the PR #7701 linked below, and
problems with particular packages should have their own tickets, labeled
with "6.topic: closure-size". I'm willing to personally support related
problems, to some extent.

Enjoy!
--Vladimir

[closure-size] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/7701