[Nix-dev] Monitoring by default

Alexei Robyn shados at shados.net
Wed Apr 20 08:44:00 CEST 2016

Seems interesting. You mention alerts for "System software too
old.", but the only vaguely-universal definition of "too old" I can
think of would be "missing security updates", and that's both
debatable and an area where NixOS is currently fairly lacking in
infrastructure and tooling.

Default collection of metrics beyond what is necessary to provide useful
alerts is a bad idea. Alerts have essentially universal usefulness,
statistics less so - they're unnecessary for most desktops and small
servers. At least until you have issues, so of course it'd be nice if
they were easy to switch on :p.

- Alexei

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016, at 12:40 AM, Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> People who are not interested in reliability or monitoring can stop
> reading now.
>
> --
>
> I've written up a "design doc" (statement of intent?) for how we might
> do monitoring-by-default. Once I think there is a reasonable level of
> consensus about how we should do this, I'll go ahead and implement
> what's in the document, but I'd like to make sure we're all on the
> same page first; especially as I want this to be *on* by default.
>
> So I'd like your input. Can you take a look[1]?
>
> --
> Svein Ove Aas

Links:

  1. https://goo.gl/wmsWpY