[Nix-dev] AgdaStdlib Doesn't install

James Cook james.cook at utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 3 04:40:19 CEST 2015

On 2 October 2015 at 13:12, Taeer Bar-Yam <tb442 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> I recently added pkgs.haskellPackages.Agda and pkgs.AgdaStdlib to my
> environment.systemPackages (in configuration.nix), and Agda still can't find
> the stdlib packages.
>
> I discussed this with someone on IRC for a while, and we discovered that I
> don't have an "agda" folder in /run/current-system/sw/share/ which I am
> supposed to have if pkgs.AgdaStdlib is in environment.systemPackages.
>
> Furthermore, when they put the same line in their configuration.nix, that
> folder did appear in their /run/current-system/sw/share/
>
> I'm sure this will come up, so I'll confirm now: I have `nixos-rebuild
> switch`ed to the new system.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what's going on here? Is there any other
> diagnostic information that would be helpful?
>
>   --Taeer

Hi Taeer,

That's really strange. I think you will have to debug this on your
end. All I can think if is to examine every little step that makes us
think putting pkgs.AgdaStdlib in your configuration should make it
appear under /run/current-system/sw/share/. For example:

- Assumption: nixos-rebuild is reading your configuration.nix. You
could test this by putting some bad syntax at the start of
configuration.nix and rebuilding.

- Assumption: pkgs.AgdaStdlib produces a "share/agda" directory with
the version of nixpkgs you are using. You could try installing it with
nix-env -p test_profile -i -A pkgs.AgdaStdlib and checking under
test_profile

- Assumption: Your syntax for specifying environment.systemPackages is
correct. Try putting other packages there and see if their files show
up under /run/current-system/sw/share/. Try putting something that's
not a package there (e.g. the number 42) and see if nixos-rebuild
complains (it should).

- Assumption: nixos-rebuild is using the version of nixpkgs you think
it's using. You could test this by messing up your nixpkgs (e.g. by
adding bad syntax to all-packages.nix) and seeing if nixos-rebuild
complains.

And so on. Sorry, that's the best I've got.

James