[Nix-dev] Real documentation, aka "Let's kill the wiki"

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Tue Nov 24 15:00:33 CET 2015

On 15-11-23 08:03pm, Jan Malakhovski wrote:
> That is, I'd like
>
> * All the docs to be available and discoverable locally.
>   /run/current-system/sw/share/doc FTW. (easy to do)

Yes, please.

> * To have a thing that indexes all the man, info and haddock pages for
>   full text search using e.g. Xapian lib. (I don't know a good tool for
>   this, I'd like to get suggestions.) This can become a killer feature,
>   think universal `help` command that works faster than google (local
>   Xapian is extremely fast, as witnessed by `notmuch` and `mu`), that
>   gives matches relevant to your system, and doesn't leak your interests
>   for all the Internet to mine.

Even more yes, please.

I thought about this in the past, as a first step it would be a killer
feature to be able to use the documentation on the system with
https://zealdocs.org/ (as compared to using the outdated versions provided
by default).

> * NixOS documentation to be available in `info` format since `info` has
>   index support, indexes are awesome, and navigation in `info` is kind
>   of cool too (especially compared to plain HTML). (Should be possible
>   with docbook2x-texi)

Is info still the best documentation format we’ve got? Interesting.

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es