[Nix-dev] TexLive wiki page

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Wed Nov 18 14:41:42 CET 2015

Quoting Matthias Beyer (2015-11-18 14:23:41)
> On 18-11-2015 08:29:52, Karsten Gebbert wrote:
> > IMHO, the Github wiki should probably be that place, and the workflow
> > markdown/rst/org -> pandoc -> pdf/html (& possibly gh-pages). It makes it easy
> > to contribute via $EDITOR + git or a convenient web interface.
> >
> > My $0.02 :)
> >

> I'd vote against github wiki. It is just a mess IMHO and is for taking
> notes, not for documentation.
>
> Though I'd vote for a markdown/rst -> git+pandoc -> html/pdf solution
> (not org, as this is [kindof] bound to an editor). I'd be happy
> with pandoc, but I'd vote against gitit, btw! I find it too bulkyish
> and I'd prefer github as web UI, but this is debatable as well.
>
> Maybe we can have a sprint at 32C3 for this.
>
> I see one problem: The documentation is not located near to the code
> it documents. We should include the documentation (as .md or .rst
> files) within the nixpkgs repository and compile it with pandoc from
> tree to html/pdf.
>
> Maybe we can set something up right now? I think I can put some effort
> into this at the weekend and get something basic working, shouldn't be
> too much to do, actually.

Hi,

Just to clarify to not introduce confusion about my talk from NixCon.

- wiki will not go away any time soon. definetly not before we have some
  alternative documentation i was talking about.

- tools which we use dont matter. instead of spending time on figuring out
  which format to choose and which framework to use to generate docs, rather
  write a tutorial about something. we need more content and not more tools.
  at least that is how i see the problem.

i would much rather see a discussion what to write and not how to write.

--
Rok Garbas - http://www.garbas.si