[Nix-dev] boostHeaders disappeared

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Wed May 20 15:06:14 CEST 2015

Hello,

long time ago I introduced a package boostHeaders, that only installed the
boost headers without building any lib. The purpose of that package was to
avoid the heavy build load of boost.

For what I remember, building all boost involved bjam taking 2GB of RAM,
and heavy task for g++. This is a huge task for some ARM computers.

In the 14th of September William A. Kennington III removed boostHeaders
because boost was a multi-output derivation.

Commit: f327e9c9221d39dac55e565819054122ead64218

That helps in reducing closures, but makes any program requiring only
boost headers to need the full boost completely build, isn't it?

I would like boostHeaders back to avoid the heavy build time. This affects
only the poor people with NixOS in slow computers that can't use hydra. Is
there anyone strongly opposed to having boostHeaders back?

I don't think that I can easily build boost in armv5tel with 512MB of RAM.

Regards,
Lluís.

--
(Escriu-me xifrat si saps PGP / Write ciphered if you know PGP)
PGP key D4831A8A - https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/