[Nix-dev] Git branches to track nix channels

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:44:02 CEST 2015

On 05/19/2015 07:36 PM, Matthias Beyer wrote:
> On 19-05-2015 12:08:30, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
>> I'm uncertain if there might be some performance implications [...]
>
> From a git point of view, there won't be any performance implications
> besides that the tags get fetched on `git fetch` - which is wanted
> behaviour I guess.

What I meant: in most git commands one can specify a <refname>, so any
tag is accepted there as well. Therefore, the tags probably have to be
searched very often (see "man gitrevision" for details).

I think the implementation does no clever thing about the tag/branch
names - it just passes through all, which could become slower in time,
if we had many thousands of them.

But anyway, IMO it will take some time before it gets noticeable. I
often check out all the pull request branches, so I have thousands refs
already, without noticing any problems.

$ wc -l .git/info/refs && du -h .git/info/refs
6701 .git/info/refs
420K .git/info/refs

$ find .git/refs/ | wc -l
587