[Nix-dev] Git branches to track nix channels

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Tue May 19 19:36:41 CEST 2015

On 19-05-2015 12:08:30, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> I'm uncertain if there might be some performance implications when
> working on a repo with too many tags, but as this won't be in the main
> repo, we can easily chance it.

From a git point of view, there won't be any performance implications
besides that the tags get fetched on `git fetch` - which is wanted
behaviour I guess.

doing a `git tag` could become a bit slower... But I don't think
that's much of a problem (just did a `git tag` on the kernel sources,
which has 417 tags for me atm:

    real    0m0.015s
    user    0m0.003s
    sys     0m0.011s

so I guess nobody cares. (Well, `git tag` is simply file-read and
nothing more...)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,