[Nix-dev] GNOME 3.12 -> 3.16

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 12:35:14 CEST 2015

About GNOME 3.16
-------------------------

The new nixos unstable release has finally GNOME 3.16 binaries. You can try
it with environment.gnome3.packageSet = gnome3_16;

However, because gtk 3.12 apps will not render correctly on gnome 3.16, I
also suggest you to add in packageOverrides gtk3 = gtk3_16; and gnome3 =
gnome3_16;

That might result in some compilation.

Dropping GNOME 3.12
-----------------------------

I'm using GNOME 3.16 since more than a week and overall it's looking good.
There's no reason to keep GNOME 3.12 around. Also GTK 3.12 apps render
badly on GNOME 3.16 because of different theming.

I'll be dropping GNOME 3.12 as soon as possible. Possible breakages include:

- Dropping old clutter might break some apps
- The new vte library might break some apps

Otherwise the transition should be clean overall.

In case there's any breakage please don't hesitate to open an issue.

Best regards,

--
NixOS Linux <http://nixos.org>