[Nix-dev] How to test my service definition without actually "installing" it?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Thu May 14 11:18:36 CEST 2015

On 14-05-2015 10:52:11, Tomasz Kontusz wrote:
> I'm so bad at sending mail to the list :-( still learning to reply-all.

No problem!

> Yes, that would rebuild the whole system. I normally build on top of nixos-unstable (there's a separate repo with branches for channels) instead of master, this helps with rebuilds.

I'll try this, thanks!

> If you don't want to rebuild your whole system you can use nixops with local containers - that's how I normally test services that I won't run locally.

How do you do that? My approach is nixos-rebuild build-vm as someone
else (I guess it was Lethalman) suggested, but it fails with:

    $ sudo nixos-rebuild build-vm -I .
    building Nix...
    building the system configuration...
    error: The option `services.taskserver' defined in `/nix/store/sz5aszzk5hn943pcw66iqy5jf21hrws4-nixos/services/taskwarrior.nix' does not exist.
    (use ‘--show-trace’ to show detailed location information)

unfortunately. Any pointers?

> BTW thanks for working on taskd service, I'd love to use one :-)

You're welcome! I actually wanted to write it for a long time, but I
had my taskd server on a debian machine running and it just worked, so
I didn't need it. The debian machine seems to be dead now and I cannot
sync my notebook and my desktop machines tasks... so I started to
write the service (which is actually my first one besides mpdscribble,
which doesn't work yet, too).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,