[Nix-dev] A Journey into our brand-new Haskell infrastructure: Part III

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Sat May 2 23:53:04 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 27-04-2015 13:40:08, Peter Simons wrote:
> just a quick update for your information: we now have fully automatic updates
> of "hackages-packages.nix".

This sounds really great!

> We do not merge those updates to 'master' automatically, though. Instead, a
> human being can decide to do that by choosing a relatively stable version of
> Hackage from [5] and merging revision into 'master'. Personally, I like to
> squash all those commits into one by running
>
>   $ git checkout master && git pull
>   $ git checkout haskell-updates && git pull
>   $ git rebase -i master
>
> Now select "squash" for all but the first commit, and when Git asks you to edit
> the final commit message, make sure to chose the *last one*. Then push the
> result to the origin repository:

May I ask why you'd prefer this over a "normal" `git merge` of the
appropriate tree?

By doing so, you'd actually destroy history which might be relevant
some day...

I'm generally not a fan of the github workflow, meaning rebasing
instead of merging, so I'll guess we'll end up in a discussion about
merging strategies if you don't mind?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,