[Nix-dev] System-Packages available for root but not for user?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Sat Jun 27 14:32:28 CEST 2015

For future reference:

I've fixed the issue.

The problem was that I modified the user by hand, actually. I removed
_everything_ from the user (also /home/$USER) and rebuild the system.

The other problem was that I had two bootloaders configured in my
configuration.nix (by accident) which resulted in the grub menu didn't
receive any updates and, of course, the user wasn't rebuild because
there was no user in the configuration.nix at this time. Because I
created the working user by hand, I was able to login and everything,
but it didn't work as expected and confused me.

So, short: Don't create Users without Nix! Make sure your config is
alright, check whether the bootloader menu gets updated or not!