[Nix-dev] NixOS and NixOps on server : testimonials here ?

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 15:36:53 CEST 2015

On 24/06/2015 15:32, Fabien Bourgeois wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a newcomer to Nix ecosystem and am theoretically really pleased
> about manuals and articles I've read about it.
>
> I will really soon give it a try and if tests fulfill my needs, I'd like
> to be able to use NixOS "everywhere" (workstations, servers). I have
> some questions about using NixOS on servers machines in production (I
> guess this list is not exhaustive :
> https://nixos.org/wiki/Nix%28OS%29_in_production )
>
> 1) Have you experiences about using NixOS on physical or virtual servers
> ? Do you have some advice to share ?
I use on physical personal server. Advice: do it the nix way. Also
modularize your configuration, it's usually quite big for a server. Put
some efforts into writing reusable and isolated nix/nixos code, it will
pay off back.
> 2) Do you follow stable or unstable channel ? Why ? (security, stability...)
Unstable, being a personal server I prefer to have some recent kernels
to test new stuff on. Never had a problem but unless you follow the
development I wouldn't suggest it for a production server.