[Nix-dev] readelf: createProcess: runInteractiveProcess: exec: does not exist (No such file or directory)

Amy de Buitléir amy at nualeargais.ie
Fri Jun 5 16:00:15 CEST 2015

Peter Simons <simons <at> cryp.to> writes:
> I believe it might be a good idea to remove all Haskell related code
> from both your user profile and from your configuration.nix file, and
> then start over using
>
>   https://github.com/NixOS/cabal2nix/blob/master/doc/user-guide.md
>
> as a guide line.

That guide is exactly what I needed! It has definitely cleared up some
things for me. I like the way it shows you things that don't work, and
explains why.

So... I cleaned out all of the old Haskell stuff in my installation and
started over. I also deleted .nix-profile and .nix-defexpr, and logged out
and back in again. I'm following the instructions in that guide, and I'm in
the "How to install a compiler" section. I installed the compiler and I'm
now trying to build a very simple package.

$ cabal install -j --dependencies-only
Resolving dependencies...
All the requested packages are already installed:
Use --reinstall if you want to reinstall anyway.

$ cabal configure
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring Jot-1.0...

$ cabal build
Building Jot-1.0...
Preprocessing executable 'jot' for Jot-1.0...
readelf: createProcess: runInteractiveProcess: exec: does not exist (No such
file or directory)

NOTE: I haven't used nix-shell yet, I haven't got to that point in the guide.
NOTE: I haven't yet added the unstable channel.