[Nix-dev] Where does

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Jun 4 19:40:41 CEST 2015

Hi Amy,

 > I haven't been able to build this on NixOS.

where does the shell.nix file come from that use? Did you generate it
with cabal2nix like I showed you in my previous message?

 > Configuring creatur-5.9.6...
 > cabal: At least the following dependencies are missing:
 > zlib ==0.6.*

In my previous message I showed you the commands that can be used to
look up the version of zlib that your system has. My guess is that when
you run those commands, then you'll find that you don't have zlib 0.6.x.

 > [nix-shell:~/creatur]$ nix-env -q
 > . . .
 > haskell-zlib-ghc7.8.4-0.5.4.2-shared

The Haskell libraries you install into your profile have no effect
whatsoever on the set of libraries that GHC knows about.

I believe it might be a good idea to remove all Haskell related code
from both your user profile and from your configuration.nix file, and
then start over using

  https://github.com/NixOS/cabal2nix/blob/master/doc/user-guide.md

as a guide line.

Generally speaking, please note that all this advanced stuff you're
trying to do works only if you follow the nixos-unstable channel. The
release-14.12 branch doesn't have the new Haskell code. Please make sure
that you're using a recent version if nixos-unstable for those kind of
experiments.

I hope this helps,
Peter