[Nix-dev] Looking for development version of zlib

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Jun 3 13:09:19 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 03/06/15 12:35, Amy de Buitléir wrote:

> I'm getting the sort of error message which usually means that I need the
> development version of a package. I looked for a package named something
> like zlib-dev or zlib-devel, but all I could find are these:
>
> nixpkgs.zlib                                             zlib-1.2.8

Yes, that's the right package.

> [nix-shell:~/creatur]$ cabal install --dependencies-only --enable-tests

Given that you're using nix-shell, you should add something like

  buildInputs = [ zlib ];

to your Nix expression. Nix-shell will ensure that the appropriate environment
variables are set up so that gcc can find zlib. However, I don't know how Cabal
looks for foreign library dependencies.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/