[Nix-dev] Looking for development version of zlib

Christian Theune ct at flyingcircus.io
Wed Jun 3 12:57:42 CEST 2015

Hi,

> On 03 Jun 2015, at 12:35, Amy de Buitléir <amy at nualeargais.ie> wrote:
>
> I'm getting the sort of error message which usually means that I need the
> development version of a package. I looked for a package named something
> like zlib-dev or zlib-devel, but all I could find are these:
>
> nixpkgs.zlib                                             zlib-1.2.8
> nixos.pkgs.zlib                                          zlib-1.2.8
> nixpkgs.zlibStatic                                       zlib-static-1.2.8
> nixos.pkgs.zlibStatic                                    zlib-static-1.2.8
>
> I installed nixos.pkgs.zlib, but the error persists.
>
> Q1: Is there a NixOS naming convention for development libraries?
> Q2: Does a development version of zlib exist, or do I need to install it
> manually?

Lets see whether my knowledge is strong enough - if anyone has a better answer, I’m happy to be overriden. ;)

No separate package is needed. Here’s a setting to export the development versions (of everything):

    # Make an impure environment to support old-style deployments with
 <>    # traditional tools like pip, buildout, etc.
 <>    environment.pathsToLink = [ "/include" ];
 <>
 <>    environment.shellInit = ''
 <>    # help pip to find libz.so when building lxml
 <>    export LIBRARY_PATH=/var/run/current-system/sw/lib
 <>    # ditto for header files, e.g. sqlite
 <>    export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/var/run/current-system/sw/include:/var/run/current-system/sw/include/sasl
 <>   '';

Cheers,
Christian

—
Christian Theune · ct at flyingcircus.io · +49 345 219401 0
Flying Circus Internet Operations GmbH · http://flyingcircus.io
Forsterstraße 29 · 06112 Halle (Saale) · Deutschland
HR Stendal HRB 21169 · Geschäftsführer: Christian. Theune, Christian. Zagrodnick