[Nix-dev] Use Haskell for Shell Scripting

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Fri Jan 30 17:07:14 CET 2015

Not sure if you're serious, but the last time we considered even rewriting
the scripts in C, people were mostly against that. However, I guess with
this the major opposition (can't read the source code easily) goes away,
because you can still cat the scripts. However, I'd imagine that the
startup overhead is now higher than bash, and the size of closures goes up
a lot (you have to pull in the many hundreds of MB that GHC needs).

So while it's a nice idea, I don't think it's practical to be done system
wide - though I'm all for doing it locally!

-- ocharles