[Nix-dev] KDE 5 testers wanted!

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 00:16:08 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Jascha Geerds <jg at ekby.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 15:13, Thomas Tuegel wrote:
>> To enable KDE 5 in NixOS, simply set:
>>
>> services.xserver.desktopManager.kde5.enable = true;
>
> Good job, Thomas! It works pretty well on my machine. There are only
> minor issues but I guess that's due to KDE5 (and not your work). I'll
> look into it.

That may not be the case. It turns out that many components of KDE
make assumptions about paths (FHS-compliance, no symlinks) that aren't
true on NixOS. The usual symptom of this is some graphics asset wil
fail to load. Random crashes are probably upstream; Plasma is
*excellent* at finding graphics driver bugs. Any reproducible problem
you can report to me through our GitHub issue tracker.

Speaking of paths, I forgot to mention how fundamentally broken
Plasma's security model is. The security model for Plasmoids relies on
none of the files in a package being symlinked into place. Obviously,
that's never going to work for us. I had to disable this check, so
Plasmoids can load files through symlinks. You should not install
Plasmoids from untrusted sources! (You should not do this anyway; they
can execute arbitrary code! I just don't want anyone coming back and
saying I crippled security without warning.)

--
Thomas Tuegel