[Nix-dev] environment.allowedLicenses ?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Mon Jan 26 14:19:14 CET 2015

On 26-01-2015 14:00:10, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> Hm, I have the impression the license checking code is becoming pretty heavy at
> this point. For instance, what (realistically) is the use case for whitelisting?

Whitelisting a non-free license.

> Even a basic NixOS system configuration probably has dozens of (free) licenses,
> and I can't imagine users going to the trouble of specifying them all. Also note
> that all this license checking is on the mkDerivation critical path, so anything
> we do there slows down "nix-env -qa".

Of course things have to be optimized here.

> I actually think we should *remove* meta.license entirely (because it doesn't
> provide useful info to users and tends to be wrong or incomplete anyway), and
> replace it with attributes that have operational meaning:

I'm heavily against this. Having the license in the package
information is (IMHO) the right way to do this.

Removing the license of a package is removing information about the
package, which I do not consider a good idea at all. You could remove
the maintainer and version, too, if you remove the license.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,

Proudly sent with mutt.