[Nix-dev] Pulseaudio broken in 14.12: Daemon already running

Peter Jones mlists at pmade.com
Sun Jan 25 19:40:13 CET 2015

Peter Jones <mlists at pmade.com> writes:
>> Pulseaudio stopped working for me after upgrading to 14.12.  It seems
>> that all PA clients start their own server, which eventually fails
>> because the pulseaudio daemon is already running.
>
> I just noticed that pulseaudio doesn't see my sound cards:

This appears to be some sort of permission issue.  If I run pulseaudio
as root then everything works as expected.  Running it under my user
account somehow prevents pulseaudio from seeing any of the sound cards.

I did have my user account in the "audio" group.  I've since removed it
after reading some documentation, rebooted, and still no sound cards
detected by pulseaudio.

Using strace, I don't see pulseaudio failing to open any files or even
trying to access /dev/snd/*.  I do see several errors coming from
setrlimit though.

What's the next step in debugging this?

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com