[Nix-dev] Pulseaudio broken in 14.12: Daemon already running

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 17:06:37 CET 2015

What exactly do you mean by “disabling” pulseaudio?
Do you have a system-wide instance of pulseaudio running (e.g. by setting
`pulseAudio.systemWide = true` in the configuration.nix)? If yes, then do
you have any good reasons for doing so? If no, then disable the system-wide
instance.

Normally, there is exactly one instance of pulseaudio per user and it is
spawned automatically (to be precise, it is spawned automatically iff it is
not already running; and most likely your DE starts one during
initialisation).

If you really need system-wide pulseaudio for some reason, then you might
want to go through [Running PulseAudio as System-Wide Daemon](
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/SystemWide/)
and let us know what was wrong. Actually I have no idea how well is this
mode supported in NixOS and does anyone even test it…