[Nix-dev] Supported Darwin versions

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Jan 5 11:32:23 CET 2015

Hi,

On 05/01/15 04:25, John Wiegley wrote:

> Here are the results of running "curl https://nixos.org/nix/install | sh"
> right now on various versions:
>
>  10.6  sorry, there is no binary distribution of Nix for your platform

This suggests that uname -s / -m returns something different than "Darwin" and
"x86_64" on 10.6.

>  10.8  error: the group ‘nixbld’ specified in ‘build-users-group’ does not exist

Huh. That shouldn't happen in a single user install.

> Each VM I'm using is a virgin install + updates + Xcode + CLI tools, nothing
> else
>
> Is 10.9 our lowest target now, or should I open new issues for these last two
> errors?

Nixpkgs master currently has MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET set to 10.9, so anything
lower probably won't work. This was done to work around some Xcode 6.1 issue:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/899d81b37ba6dc26431b82b40300505f19504e03

But with a stdenv that doesn't depend on Xcode, we may be able to lower
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/