[Nix-dev] State database in nixops

Thomas Hunger tehunger at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 21:11:20 CET 2015

> Could you expand on this a bit? I've been using nixops for a while, but
> only recently set up a Hydra server to run tests automatically. I'm now
> considering doing automated deployments out of hydra, but not quite sure
> how that should work. It would be simple to have a hydra job that runs
> "nixops deploy" but having a build with external side-effects like that
> seems problematic.

We're running Jenkins for historical reasons. Jenkins allows executing
arbitrary shell scripts after a successful build / test. We run the tests
on Jenkins in the same nix-shell environment that we're using for
development.
Jenkins uses an exceedingly terrible XML config format but the files can be
generated which allows us to set up projects via nixops. Jenkins also has
some hooks and can e.g. be pinged by github to trigger a build.

We briefly looked at Hydra but could not figure out how to configure it via
files (it looks like a point-and-click interface backed by a database).
Also, because we have a working system switching is very low priority for
us. There are some other open source CI systems like travis and drone which
we know of but haven't yet investigated.

Even though it's very off-topic I'd definitely be interested in reading
more about how other companies are using nixops!

~