[Nix-dev] ARM NixOS chroot'ing for Android and ChromiumOS

James Haigh james.r.haigh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:52:02 CET 2015

Hello,
    How many NixOS users have an ARM-based Android smartphone and prefer
NixOS to Android? Being able to chroot NixOS to Android in the same
manner as the Lil' Debi chroot installer application to have a decent
GNU+Linux distribution running alongside the default Linux-based system
would be really useful.
    It has been done many times with Debian; there are 3 libre chroot
installer applications alone
(https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=chroot ), and some
others on Google Play. Typically one accesses such chroot'd systems
using applications such as Terminal Emulator, VX ConnectBot, or
AndroidVNC, all of which are also available on F-Droid.
    In the case of the ARM Chromebooks, there is a similar approach for
ChromeOS/ChromiumOS using Crouton (https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton
) to set-up the chroot. There are plenty of awesome video
demonstrations: http://ddg.gg/?q=!v+ARM+Chromebook+Crouton+chroot
    Using a chroot'd NixOS on my Android smartphone would be my
preferred way to build NixOS for ARM because my phone is actually my
highest-specified device.
    I've mentioned this before here and there (maybe on IRC), but it
should probably have its own thread. Is anyone interested in trying a
chroot setup on their non-NixOS Linux ARM device? Can anyone help me do
this?

Best regards,
James Haigh.