[Nix-dev] Nix seemingly broke ~/.nix-profile symlink

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 22:46:14 CET 2015

Hi,

Just for information (as I cannot reproduce it).

I don't really know how this happened. I think the last thing I did
before noticing anything wrong was to run "nix-collect garbage" and
then "nix-build".

Then my profile symlink looked like this:

$ ls -l ~/.nix-profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bfo users 19 Jan 27 22:21 /home/bfo/.nix-profile ->
.nix-profile-2-link
$ ls -l ~/.nix-profile/
ls: cannot access /home/bfo/.nix-profile/: No such file or directory

Luckily, it was easy to fix:
$ ln -sf /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/bfo/profile /home/bfo/.nix-profile

Everything is OK now. I wonder what happened.

- Bjørn