[Nix-dev] Trouble building on debian testing

Andrew Fraser andy at fraserphysics.com
Sat Dec 19 19:14:26 CET 2015

This is my first post.  I welcome pointers on appropriate format.

I am trying to install nix in $HOME/nix on my debian testing box at
home.  I'm doing it to practice for installing nix at work where I am
not permitted to load system software.

If I can resolve my problems, I will edit the wiki to explain what
works.

With the packages listed in
https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_install_nix_in_home_%28on_another_distribution%29#Manual_Installation
the DBD version can't use the DBI version.  I find building the
following collection will get configure to run:

for url in \
 https://nixos.org/releases/nix/nix-1.10/nix-1.10.tar.xz \
 http://bzip.org/1.0.6/bzip2-1.0.6.tar.gz bzip2 \
 http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.46.0.tar.lzma \
 https://www.sqlite.org/2015/sqlite-autoconf-3090200.tar.gz \
 http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/T/TI/TIMB/DBI-1.634.tar.gz \
 http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/I/IS/ISHIGAKI/DBD-SQLite-1.46.tar.gz \
 http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/S/SZ/SZBALINT/WWW-Curl-4.17.tar.gz
do
wget $url
done

This configure line runs without reporting errors:

 ./configure --prefix=$HOME/nix-boot --with-store-dir=$HOME/nix/store --localstatedir=$HOME/nix/var CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/nix-boot/include" LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/nix-boot/lib" PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/nix-boot/lib/pkgconfig

However "make" fails with the following at the end:

LD     src/libstore/libnixstore.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsqlite3
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbz2
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurl
mk/lib.mk:102: recipe for target 'src/libstore/libnixstore.so' failed
make: *** [src/libstore/libnixstore.so] Error 1

Thanks for any pointers,

Andy