[Nix-dev] Set up a Sufficiently Powerful Build Farm

Chris Forno jekor at jekor.com
Fri Dec 18 18:24:09 CET 2015

Peter Simons <simons <at> cryp.to> writes:

> Anyhow, that's just a rough estimate. I don't know, really, what an ideal
> hardware / service platform for running such a virtual service would be. It
> would be great if a resident virtual server / NAS / system management guru
> could chime in with suggestions; I'm sure the NixOS crowd has people who know
> that kind of stuff and who can design the infrastructure for such a build
> farm.

I'd be happy to help, as I think I can use the experience to figure out
archiving build
sources (<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/18846>).
Ideally we can find a way to not only allow a user to populate a Nix store on
their machine with all sources for a given nixpkgs checkout but also to ship
the sources of all successful hydra builds to some long-term storage.

It would be interesting to also measure/project the storage required to
archive all builds produced by hydra across time.