[Nix-dev] Dealing with missing sources

Eric Sagnes eric.sagnes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 12:35:45 CET 2015

Hi,

I am currently working on Hydra aborted jobs, and for a few packages the
sources totally disappeared.

An example of this is the directfb package. The site http://www.directfb.org/
returns server not found. (there is even a news on phoronix regarding that [1])
It doesn't look like a temporary failure as the news is from end of August.

What would be the best way to deal with such cases?

I can think of:

1/ mark the package as broken until upstream reappear.
2/ get the source from another place (phoronix comments mentions
archive.org)
3/ As some packages in nixpkgs have http://tarballs.nixos.org/ as source,
download the latest source archive and upload it there.

1 is not a real solution as upstream might never reappear, 2 seems a little
fragile as the new source is not official and could fail so 3 seems the best
solution.
But I couldn't find any instructions on how to put files in
http://tarballs.nixos.org/ in the available resources.

What would be the best way to deal with such problems?

[1] https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DirectFB-Is-It-Gone
[2] https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.directfb.org/
--
Eric Sagnes