[Nix-dev] How to write module outside the nixpkgs tree and integrated with nixos-rebuild

Jakob Gillich jakob at gillich.me
Fri Dec 4 19:26:03 CET 2015

I'm also pretty new to Nix and in my experience, the manual is pretty good and covers a lot of topics, but it doesn't rank very well on Google. For example, when I search for "nixos containers" on Google, I get:

1. The manual entry from 14.12
2. The wiki page NixOS:Containers, which is rather short. The manual
   entry is much better, I'm not sure why this page even exists.
3. NixOps

The current manual is nowhere to be found, probably because it's just a
single page and gets outranked by pages that have the keywords higher
up. Maybe providing both the single page and the sections split to
single pages would improve that (that's how FreeBSD does it).

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015, at 07:08 PM, Layus wrote:
> Oh, it seems that you misunderstood me.

      My point is that that particular information (i.e. "How to add
      custom modules?") is not easy to find in the docs/wiki.

      I claim this based on the (relatively) big number of users asking
      that question on the mailing list and at NixCon.

      So I asked you to give examples of places where you looked for
      that piece of information (wiki, nixos man, eetc ?), and how you
      looked for it (google, nixos options, nixos.org search? what
      keywords you used, etc.).

      That way, I would know where to add the required explanations to
      help future users facing the same question.

      G.

      On 04/12/15 18:26, rohit yadav wrote:
>> Yes,
          it was mistake on my part. In NixCon someone proposed to
          remove the current wiki because it is outdated. But I guess I
          should first try before asking. I will post questions with
          more caution in future.

          Guillaume Maudoux (Layus) <layus.on at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is not the first
              time this question arises on the mailing list.

              Where did you expect to find this information in the docs
              ?

              This may be the ideal place to add the info.

              G.

                        This is exactly I was looking for. I should have
                        looked more before posting this query.

                        10:14 PM, Игорь Пашев
                        <pashev.igor at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
                            GMT+03:00 rohit yadav