[Nix-dev] Zero Hydra Failures (ZHF) project for NixOS

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 17:45:34 CEST 2014

We have 2 solution, either we stop the regressions when a pull request
(PR) is made, or we stop it when the fire is in.  The fireman role is
hard to keep, and we should be verifying as much as possible at the PR
time.  Also, if we want to avoid firemans, we probably want to forbid
pushing patches to the repository without having made a pull request
at first.  Which means, no more massive updates without checks.

One other way, is to have an "inbound", and a "nightly" branch.  Every
day, we merge in "nightly", the last green-build  of the "inbound"
branch which got tested by Hydra.  This way we do not have a strict
policy for pushing to "inbound".  The only policy being that nobody
merge into "inbound" if it is broken.  This is the model used by
Mozilla.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 08:29 PM, Domen Kožar wrote:
>>
>> I'm +1 on this one. Hydra evaluates nixpkgs very fast.
>>
>> I'm only worried if the email is per build, not per jobset evaluation.
>> Is that the case?
>

> I don't think it's per-build. I'd expect one e-mail per evaluation to all
> who committed in-between.
>
> The merged PR: https://github.com/NixOS/hydra/pull/126
>

> Vladimir

Nicolas Pierron