[Nix-dev] NixOS artwork repository created

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:30:43 CEST 2014

I'm announcing the nixos-artwork repository [1].
The idea is to add some nixos-branded images, wallpapers to our
distribution.

The first issue is the 14.11 release [2], I've created a simple gnome
wallpaper however I'm trying to figure out where the gimp source is on
my disk :P

When adding artwork, it's better to also provide the source and make
sure it has some permissive license (I'm no expert here).

About the directory structure, for now I'd propose simply:
- nixos/
-- grub/
--- image1-name/
---- source
---- png

I think using a fetchurl with the git revision is enough.

In general, for licensing issues I think it's preferable to have 100%
work done by our users with a permissive license, instead of
super-fantastic work done by a foreign source + copy-paste + rebrand
(unless we exactly know the license of that work).
For example reusing basic kde backgrounds or gnome backgrounds should be
fine as we already redistribute them.

Looking toward your beautiful works!

Best regards,

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixos-artwork