[Nix-dev] Is systemd a benefit or a liability?

Shell Turner cam.turn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 12:21:37 CEST 2014

On 19 October 2014 10:48, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> If you have systemd installed, then half of your Unix ecosystem is
> locked into one particular implementation of services that used to be
> diverse, modular, and replaceable.

I'll note that there's a couple of re-implementations of parts of
systemd. There's Debian's systemd-shim, and the higher-level
systembsd. There's also nosh, a small, simpler init system that allows
for automatically converting some types of systemd unit file to its
own format, which allows for configurable logging, and a few more
interesting things.

That's not to disagree with you entirely - I'm no fan of how systemd
appears to be taking every core service and bringing it under its
umbrella and forcing them to depend on systemd (udev being a
particularly irritating one - "Unless the systemd-haters prepare
another kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean
that we will not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore
starting at that point").

Shell