[Nix-dev] Broken ghc for OS X on cache.nixos.org

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 23:55:59 CEST 2014

On 10/16/2014 09:53 PM, Richard Wallace wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> In an effort to get our team to start using nix, I've setup a project of
> ours to be built with nix.  One obstacle I've run into is that most of the
> team (pretty much everyone except me) is using OS X, so I've been trying to
> overcome the OS X ghc being broken in the nix cache [1].
>
> I've gone ahead and built a new ghc binary on OS X and created a cache
> containing it and other Haskell packages.  I thought everything was going
> great until I tried to actually use it by running
>
>   $ nix-shell shell.nix --option binary-caches http://mycache --command
> 'cabal configure --enable-tests'

I myself often wonder how to get nix to DWIM when it comes to binary
caches. Does nix-build --option binary-caches … do what you want? Maybe
nix-shell just ignores it…

> This still downloads the ghc package from http://cache.nixos.org, which is
> what I'm trying to avoid.  I used wireshark to see what is going on, and it
> appears that my cache is never checked, nix just goes and starts
> downloading from cache.nixos.org.  My guess is that this is because of the
> MANIFEST from the nixpkgs-unstable channel.  Is that correct?  If so, how
> can I override that?

You could try doing a manual nix-pull of your manifest. I do it to a
local machine like so:

nix-pull http://yuuki:3000/jobset/nixpkgs/trunk/channel/latest/MANIFEST

> Thanks,
> Rich
>
> PS It would be great if this weren't a problem.  I was told this issue
> should be getting resolved soon since there is a new OS X build box and
> that I just needed to wait a few days.  Any idea when a fixed ghc for OS X
> package will appear on cache.nixos.org?

The update announcement was on the 9th and the unstable is currently on
the commit from the 14th so I would have thought if it was fixed then it
would be in the cache already. I think however than Haskell stuff on
darwin was switched off so perhaps it just needs to be turned on again.
You should ask around on #2689 about what's going on in that area.

> [1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/2689

Mateusz K.