[Nix-dev] Broken ghc for OS X on cache.nixos.org

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Thu Oct 16 22:53:15 CEST 2014

Hello all,

In an effort to get our team to start using nix, I've setup a project of
ours to be built with nix.  One obstacle I've run into is that most of the
team (pretty much everyone except me) is using OS X, so I've been trying to
overcome the OS X ghc being broken in the nix cache [1].

I've gone ahead and built a new ghc binary on OS X and created a cache
containing it and other Haskell packages.  I thought everything was going
great until I tried to actually use it by running

  $ nix-shell shell.nix --option binary-caches http://mycache --command
'cabal configure --enable-tests'

This still downloads the ghc package from http://cache.nixos.org, which is
what I'm trying to avoid.  I used wireshark to see what is going on, and it
appears that my cache is never checked, nix just goes and starts
downloading from cache.nixos.org.  My guess is that this is because of the
MANIFEST from the nixpkgs-unstable channel.  Is that correct?  If so, how
can I override that?

Thanks,
Rich

PS It would be great if this weren't a problem.  I was told this issue
should be getting resolved soon since there is a new OS X build box and
that I just needed to wait a few days.  Any idea when a fixed ghc for OS X
package will appear on cache.nixos.org?

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/2689